Saturday, November 27, 2010

Mescal and salsa in Mehico City!

After a long day of sightseeing, Maya and I were excited to hit the town with our local amigo Hector!! A friend of Georgie's from her exchange in Sweden, Hector kindly picked us up from our hostel. As good student backpackers tho, we had been pre-drinking for quite some time (including a free tequila 'welcome to mehico' shot in our local supermarket) before Hector arrived - and losing track of time we ended up having to run around the corner to where we had agreed to meet him...as we ran up the street, some little Mexicano did the usual 'holaaaaa' to which I yelled 'no gracias' and instead ran to a big red ute which I assured Maya was probably the right car - unfortunately the ute was empty, and the little Mexicano that i had so politely greeted was in fact, Hector!!

Despite the rough start, the night definitely took a turn for the best! Hector took us out to the bar district, called La Condesa and we bar-hopped into the wee hours of the morning...

We were introduced to Mexican's drink of choice - mezcal...which is a disgusting spirit much like tequila but stronger - they sip the shot while drinking a beer, which to me just drew out the painful process of downing the awful substance!!

Then later in the night (after a few mezcals I must admit) we tried our hand at salsa!! Maya used to dance, so she was pretty profesh! I on the other hand, was hopeless - but that didn't deter an old Mexican man, at least 60 yrs old and with one of those crazy Mexican moustaches that curls up at the ends, attempting to teach me in the middle of the club for a good 15 minutes! While I enjoyed the lesson (he was actually really good) my salsa skills remained nonexistent and my face had been spiked by my teacher's moustache ends a few too many times for my liking!  

It was a great night and we loved seeing the local bars... we were very thankful to our guide Hector who unfortunately had to get up for work again just a few hours after dropping us home!! One thing is for sure - Mexicans party crazy!!

LiZZie
xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment